Good Morning, Social Rabbit here with your guide to the world of social media.
You may have woken up today, and said “oh no” more Facebook changes and gone back to bed, or like this little bunny bounced out of bed and hit the net to see what it was all about. For those still in bed here’s a summary.
You will have a note at the top of your personal profile page, and when you click on it this is what you get…
Facebook are trying to integrate their site (platform) with other sites (platforms) to compete with Google. So they have formed alliances with,
- Microsoft docs: an online version of Microsoft office that lets you share the docs with your Facebook friends. However this is still in beta (which means it’s still being tested) and so you can’t just join you have to request to join and then wait until they let you in, which sucks!
- Yelp: “Yelp is the fun and easy way to find, review and talk about what’s great – and not so great, in your area” (or so they say…). However for us in Australia you can’t use it, unless it’s for the USA, it is all USA cities – way to go Zuck (Mark Zuckerberg, apparently facebookers call him Zuck)
- Pandora: Internet radio/music, but can’t be used outside of the USA, once again really helpful
Overall conclusion on these, WAY TO USA focused! Considering that only around 25% of Facebook users are from the USA, this doesn’t work for me. The Microsoft docs could be good when I can actually use it, as it means that I can write word, excel and powerpoint docs online from any pc, which could be great for travelling. Let’s hope that Zuck works with some more GLOBAL companies to get sites that benefit everyone.
Plus there are
- Social plugins which you can add to your website (no coding required) so you can see which of your friends like something
- Applications will now only ask for what they need for the app to work, and if they ask for more you can choose not to give it to them
If you want to see Zuck telling us how it will affect you personally check out the video from Mashable.
Basically Facebook are trying to take over the world! OK, well maybe not this week… What do you think of these changes?