Good Morning, Social Rabbit here with your guide to the world of social media.
Have you ever had one of those days when you can’t think of what to post, whether it is on your blog, YouTube, Flickr, Twitter, Google+, Facebook and the list goes on?
I think we probably all get those days from time to time, and often the result is that what gets posted is not as good as it should be.
What is bad content?
- Anything that isn’t relevant to your audience
- Bad spelling or grammar
- When it doesn’t engage them
- Too much self promotion
- Obviously hasn’t been thought about. e.g. oh look it is raining here is it raining with you?
Bad Content = A Slow Death
I expect like me you have liked, followed, rssed (is that a word?) businesses because you saw one item/article/post from them that you loved. Only to be disappointed time and time again by the nothingness, boring, uninteresting posts they put up that you stop following etc and they DROP in your esteem and the respect is gone. This is why bad content = a slow death, a slow death of your business.
Content is IMPORTANT! REALLY IMPORTANT!
Reasons Why Bad Content = a Slow Death
- It can ruin your reputation
- You lose customers
- People unlike/unsubscribe/unfollow etc. reducing the people your business can talk to
- There is no engagement with people because they just are not excited or interested in what you put up, which means a decline in brand awareness
- It gives the wrong impression about your business
- People don’t share your content
- Your Facebook posts aren’t seen in your page likers newsfeeds AT ALL
- Blog visitors decline and bounce rate increases
- All that hard work (and money) setting up a great looking blog/Facebook page etc. is let down by the content
- Traffic to your website declines as your social media activity declines
- It is a missed opportunity
- It doesn’t help your SEO or getting you found in search
- You get fed up of not getting results and think social media doesn’t work
- As you get fed up the content value slips further…..
It’s bad trap to fall into….
Once you get in, it’s hard to get out, you need to post up awesome content and try to win people back.
You don’t die the first time. Don’t panic if you think, but I posted up something that wasn’t my best yesterday and now what… It is repeated bad content that equals the slow death. A one off your audience will usually forgive you for – after all everyone has bad days.
So how can you stop posting bad content? Or asked another way how can you post good content?
Here are some ways to post good content………
- Sit down and plan in advance – if you spend time every week planning what you are going to put up you will end up with much better content than if you sit down each day and think “ok now what?”
- Buy my ebook 365 Facebook Post Ideas
- Check out the event content calendars that I add each month to this site for inspiration
- Ask your visitors what they want to see
- Keep a notebook of ideas as they come up, then you have a whole list of things to choose from
- Bookmark articles that you can use later, I like Diigo for this
- Hire an expert to write your content
Have you got any other suggestions on how you can make sure that you have good content for your readers?