Good Morning, Social Rabbit here with your guide to the world of social media.
I got sent a link to the Facebook page of a mortgage broking franchisee (name has been blurred to protect the innocent…) below recently. I wanted to point out that they are doing this all wrong, wrong, wrong… I say this not to be nasty, but to show you a real example of what doesn’t work, and yet there are so many people doing this.
Why this is wrong
- The page is about mortgage broker services and the prize has NOTHING to do with their services or products
- They will get people just LIKING the page to get the iPad not because they are interested (ok, yes great if you want to win the iPad, but not good for the business)
- This is the landing tab for the page – it tells us NOTHING about the business or why (apart from the iPad) we should LIKE the page
- When you do click LIKE, the form you fill in doesn’t ask for any details that might give the company a hint of what their audience is about, eg are they a home owner, looking to buy, etc.
- It’s not working, since Friday the number of LIKERs hasn’t increased (the promotion started on 26th August)
- It is NOT cost effective – they are giving away the cheapest iPad at $579, it’s a draw so they probably had to get permits = costs, the time taken in setting it up. It apparently finishes when they reach 600 fans, which I would say will take them 3+ months…. plus a lot of hassle.
- It doesn’t sound like the people who already LIKE the page can enter, therefore you risk getting them offside – however in reality they can enter by clicking on the tab, but it doesn’t read that way.
- People don’t have to stay LIKING the page to win, they could LIKE, enter, UNLIKE and still win
Lots of people think that…..
- Numbers of people are the name of the game – WRONG WRONG WRONG
- The more people I have on my page the more I will sell – WRONG WRONG WRONG
It’s ALL about quality NOT quantity… imagine if you had 1000 people on your page, from this iPad promotion, it is likely that most will be because of the iPad not because they have any interest whatsoever in mortgages, this will mean that ok yes the page will have lots of LIKERs, but it will also have next to no engagement. People won’t comment or LIKE posts because they are not interested, in fact they may even hide updates in their newsfeed, at the end of the day, yes they will now know about this business, but if they aren’t interested, it isn’t relevant and they only did it to win an iPad it will do NOTHING for the business.
Instead imagine that you gave away something that was useful to the LIKER…. Aussie Kenmore (another mortgage broker) here are giving away a home buying guide, ok it’s not as sexy as an iPad, and no I have to say I’m not as keen to get it, but I am not currently looking for a a mortgage, or even considering buying a house, but people who are WILL be interested. See the difference? People who LIKE the Aussie Kenmore page will be doing it because they want to engage and interact with the business, they want the information that they are going to provide therefore these guys will get the quality people on their page, and yes it might take a lot longer to reach 1000 LIKERs, but that’s not the point.
You know (if you have read my Mocks Facebook page story) that I am a big fan of bribery, but it has to be the right bribery… If you are the mortgage broking franchise reading this (and maybe cursing me), see my post on it’s not me it’s you and think of this as FREE social media advice….
So I put it to you, which one would you rather have on your page?